How Often Should You Change Your Vacuum Bags?
How often should you change your vacuum bags? When it comes to your vacuum cleaner, proper and regular maintenance is extremely important to make sure that it will last for a long period of time.
Fortunately, the vast majority of vacuum cleaners these days are very easy to maintain since they come equipped with a dust bag. One of the most important maintenance tips that every vacuum cleaner owner should know is replacing and emptying the bag. Read Here: Shark cordless keeps turning off- how to fix
But unfortunately, some people most especially those who are new to vacuum cleaner maintenance don’t have any idea how often should they change their vacuum bags.
If you are one of them, then you are in the right place. Keep on reading to learn more about how often should you change the bag of your vacuum cleaner. Read Here: How to fix Dyson V6 that keeps stopping and starting
Vacuum Bags: How Often Should You Change Them?
As a general rule of thumb, you will need to change the vacuum bag once or twice every six months. Keep in mind that it will depend on how often you are cleaning or what you’re vacuuming, for instance, pet hair, dander, fine dust, debris, and other allergens.
Obviously, if you are using your vacuum cleaner on a regular basis then the bag will be filled up with dirt with ease.
However, there are times that you don’t have to wait for six months to change the vacuum bag. We highly recommend that when the bag is already 2/3 full change it as soon as possible so that the collected debris will not be infused on your home as you vacuum.
As a matter of fact, this is very dangerous especially if you or someone in your family has asthma or allergies.
Signs That You Will Need to Change Your Bag
Here are some of the common signs that you need to watch out for as they indicate that you will need to change the vacuum bag immediately.
Low suction power
One of the most crucial features of a vacuum cleaner is its capability to suction dirt and debris. If the dirt remains on the floor or carpet even though you are vacuuming it for ten minutes or so, then it is an indication that you will need to change the bag of your vacuum.
However, before you replace it, make sure to check the hose first to ensure that there is no obstruction, to check whether the problems are in the hose or bag.
This is actually the sign that most vacuum cleaner owners are waiting for before they change their vacuum bags. If you notice a musty and foul smell coming from the vacuum bag, then it is the right time to change.
On the other hand, some people who are using their vacuums over time, particularly those who have a lot of pets at home tend to add pleasant smelling spices like cinnamon to the bag that they will give off a pleasant smell while in use. However, this makes identifying whether the bag needs to be changed or not more difficult.
The indicator light is turned on
These days, some vacuum cleaners come equipped with an indicator that will inform you when the bag needs to be replaced.
However, it is worth mentioning that some brands and manufacturers recommend that users should change the vacuum if it looks too full, irrespective of whether the light is on or not.
If you are cleaning dusty materials
For instance, vacuuming after plastering will fill the vacuum bag with tiny dust particles that make the machine less and less efficient.
That being said after you clean a big do-it-yourself task that involves a lot of dust make sure to change the bag immediately.
As a piece of advice, when you are cleaning dusty materials make sure to wear a mask because they are harmful to the lungs.
You have used your vacuum cleaner for over one month
If you are using your vacuum cleaner on a daily basis for a month, it is important that you change the bag before the month ends. Even though you are not dealing with any problems you should still do it to make sure that your machine will keep on working to its maximum capacity and will last for the many years to come.
Now that you already when is the right time to change the bag of your vacuum cleaner, keep on reading to find out how to do it properly.
- Best cordless vacuum for hardwood floors
- How To Get Dog Urine Smell Out Of Carpet?
- How to clean shark vacuum filter – A Step by Step Instruction
- Dyson V8 vs V10: Which One Should You Buy?
- How Often Should You Dust Your Home?
How to Change Vacuum Bags
For Disposable Bags
- Lay a newspaper or sheet of clean paper on the floor, this will help in trapping dust and dirt that may burst from the bag during the removal process. Also, you may want to place the trash bin next to you.
- Next, open the bag chamber of the vacuum cleaner.
- Then check the vacuum bag for bulging. If you see a little bulging at the bottom part of the bag, it is time to change the bag. On the other hand, if it is extremely full, you need to remove the debris and dirt manually from the chamber connecting to the vacuum bag.
- Gently remove the vacuum bag from its case. Remember that the way in which you do this depends on the model and make of the vacuum. Usually, you will need to remove a clip to eliminate the bag.
- Place the old bag in the bin.
- Install the new vacuum bag in the same place where you remove it.
- Lastly, replace the vacuum lid or replace the vacuum body
For Reusable Bags
- First, open the vacuum body. Typically, a reusable bag is kept in the same place and manner as a disposable bag.
- Carefully remove the plastic chamber or cloth bag
- Place the waste into the bin
- Using a damp, clean rag, wipe out the plastic chamber or cloth bag
- Once the bag has been dried completely, replace the bag or chamber the same manner it was removed.
- Finally, close the vacuum body.