The machine creates a vacuum by using the principles of air pressure. Low air pressure makes a vacuum in the suction pipe of the hose, which then sucks the dust and other small particles from the surface.
Vacuum cleaners have storage bags that store all the dust particles collected, which have to be physically cleaned when full.
Today, vacuum cleaners come in household and industrial models to cater to both markets. They are present in almost every household nowadays due to their usage and function. They provide a great benefit to individuals with dust allergies and other such allergies.
OUR #1 CHOICE
- Up to 60 minutes run time when using a non-motorized tool. Cyclone technology: 14 concentric cyclones. Filtration: advanced whole machine filtration. Cleaning path width - 9.84 inches
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Lightweight and versatile, to clean right through the home. Instant-release trigger means battery power is only used while it’s cleaning. Requires charging for 3.5 hours minimum before first use
- Up to 40 minutes of fade-free power with the soft Roller cleaner head (in suction mode I). engineered to pick up both large debris and Fine dust
- Torque drive cleaner head – Up to 20 minutes of fade-free power (in suction mode II). drives stiff nylon bristles into carpets to capture deep-down dirt
- Powered by the Dyson digital motor V10 and engineered to pick up ground-in dirt and Fine dust from hard floors and carpets
- Quickly transforms to a handheld vacuum, to clean all around your home and car
- Included components: Vacuum, charger, wall mount, combination tool
How Do Vacuum Cleaners Work?
Vacuum cleaners use the principles of air pressure to function. An easy example to understand this is by using the idea of a straw. When a person sucks on a straw, it creates negative pressure between the straw and the glass it is in.
This forces the liquid to be sucked upward and into the straw. This negative pressure principle is used in vacuum cleaners. Read Here: Best Runner Rugs – [Buying Guide]
Furthermore, vacuum cleaners have built-in fans. These fans are electronically powered and rotate at high velocities to continuously create a negative pressure, which sucks up not only dust but other particles too.
If other particles are bigger like a peanut or even a cigarette bud, there is a chance they might get stuck in the filter, but with increased power, even these types of particles can be sucked up.
The suction hose attached at the end of the pipe is designed in a way that more suction is created. Essentially, the power of the vacuum cleaner is not as significant as the narrowness of the hose.
The narrower and more closed the pipe is, the more air pressure is created. That’s why most cleaners have narrow pipes attached to suck up the particles with high intensity.
In order to ensure that the air pressure is continuous, vacuum cleaners have built-in exhaust ports, which throw air outside to maintain the balance. Otherwise, the vacuum created would be short-lived.
Most vacuums come with a filter. As mentioned before, the air is also exiting through an exhaust, which would mean that the dust particles would enter the room again.
The filter catches all particles invisible to the naked eye. It naturally has to be cleaned after a certain period of time. This is an essential feature to ensure that environments in which a vacuum cleaner functions remain clean.
- How to fix the loss of suction in a Bissell Vacuum
- Does Your Vacuum STINK? How to fix a smelly vacuum
- Tips on How Often to Change a HEPA Filter
- How to Clean and Maintain the Dyson V11 and v10 Cordless Vacuum
- How To Make Your Vacuum Cleaner Smell Good
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
Handheld vacuum cleaners, as the name would suggest, are based on the idea of holding the vacuum cleaner with one hand while cleaning.
This type is used to clean areas in and around tight areas, but it might not be the best solution for cleaning floors. Handhelds can best be utilized when it comes to portable usage such as vacuuming a car interior.
Canister vacuum cleaners are one of the most expensive types due to their technological advancements and multi-functional designs. They are a hybrid between the standard upright models and the stick models.
They are powerful machines and feature a slender frame. Due to these qualities, they can be effectively used on both carpets and hard floors.
Upright models are perhaps the most popular and common types of vacuum cleaners available in the market today. Most advertisements and even entertainment content show upright models.
These vacuum cleaners do not cost too much but are a very powerful tool for your household. They can be used to easily and effectively clean both carpets and hard flooring surfaces.
The upright model also includes multiple features that are easy to use and understand, thereby making it one of the most popular vacuum cleaners.
The stick models are slender in design. They feature a long stick-type handle and a sleek design. This helps the stick model get into narrow, tight places and is great for accessing those tricky areas where dust accumulates.
They are not exactly the most powerful vacuum cleaners, but because of their design, they do a fantastic job when it comes to cleaning carpets and hard flooring.
Robotic vacuum cleaners have recently gained a lot of attention and popularity in the market. They are fancy gadgets that make the lives of the owner much easier.
They do not require any sort of overlooking and managing. Rather, they freely roam around the house, sucking up dust and other small particles.
Another added benefit is that they can easily access unreachable areas, such as under the couch.
Although they come at a very steep price, the robotic vacuum cleaners are the way forward toward an automated household.
How to Choose a Vacuum Cleaner
When it comes to finally purchase a vacuum cleaner, multiple factors must be considered to ascertain whether the vacuum cleaner will suit your needs and demands.
These factors include the environment of your household – more specifically, does the house have bare flooring, is the bare flooring covered with rugs and carpets, or is the house covered with wall-to-wall carpets?
The best purchase will be made once the criteria for these factors have been decided.
|Best Vacuums||Brand||Check Price||Expert Rating|
|Dyson Cyclone V10 Absolute Lightweight Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner||Check Price|
|BISSELL CrossWave Floor and Carpet Cleaner with Wet-Dry Vacuum, 1785A - Green||Check Price|
|MOOSOO Cordless Vacuum 4 in 1 Powerful Suction Stick Handheld Vacuum Cleaner for Home Hard Floor Carpet Car Pet - XL-618A, Lightweight||Check Price|
|Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Lightweight Commercial Canister Vacuum, Orange||Check Price|
|Hoover WindTunnel MAX Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner, with HEPA Media Filtration, 30ft. Power Cord, UH30600, Red||Check Price|
|Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Ball Multi Floor 2, Yellow||Check Price|
|Eureka NEN110A Whirlwind Bagless Canister Vacuum Cleaner, Lightweight Corded Vacuum for Carpets and Hard Floors, Blue||Check Price|
|Hoover WindTunnel 2 Whole House Rewind Corded Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner with HEPA Media Filtration, UH71250, Blue||Check Price|
|Hoover React Professional Pet Plus Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner, for Dog and Cat, with 30ft. Power Cord, UH73220PC, Blue||Check Price|
Type of Flooring
If the house consists of wall-to-wall carpeting, the ideal vacuum cleaner to purchase would be the upright cleaner. As mentioned above, this type of cleaner is a powerful tool and is perfect for cleaning carpets.
Upright vacuum cleaners will also not scratch the surface of the carpets or result in any sort of damage.
Nowadays, these cleaners are also coming with additional add-ons such as dirt sensors, which can help gauge if there are any dust particles remaining that can be scooped up simultaneously.
Hard flooring poses different kinds of complications when choosing a vacuum cleaner. The best cleaners to use in this regard would be the canister vacuums.
Canisters are a hybrid and, therefore, would also work best for light carpeting. Normally, a powerful tool is required, but more than power, functionality plays a major role in this regard.
The vacuum should not be counter-productive by scattering the remaining dust particles in and around the vacuum. Fortunately, canister cleaners come with features that allow for a complete cleaning radius.
Furthermore, there are additional features that ensure that hard flooring does not get damaged by marks or swirls while cleaning. They also come equipped with bare-floor brushes to bring added benefits.
All this while also being able to clean carpets makes the canister vacuum the perfect solution for hard flooring.
Type of Cleaner
Bagged vacuum cleaners consist of, as the name suggests, replaceable bags that carry the dust particles and store them. Companies can guarantee storage of 0.3 to 0.5 micrometers of dust particles.
Some families may be sensitive to dust, so for them, the best option would be to go for a bagged vacuum cleaner. Although the bag may require to be replaced regularly, it is readily available in supermarkets and changing it won’t be a hassle.
Bagless vacuum cleaners are more environmentally friendly. They do not require recyclable bags or frequent replacing. Rather, they simply have a container that will show the level of dust accumulated.
They both possess the same physical qualities, but these minor differences can influence the buying decision.
Why You Should Choose This Type of Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing the right vacuum cleaner for your home is important to ensure that the household demands are met.
The choice of cleaner depends on the interior design of the household such as the presence of carpets, hard flooring or a mix of both.
Certain hygienic conditions that the members of the household may have can dictate between the bag and bagless options.
Both options have been described above with reasons for opting for them, which will help you decide which type is best suited for your needs.
If someone is looking for a more environmentally friendly product, the bagless option is suitable as it only requires cleaning the filter rather than replacing the bags and buying new ones from the store.
On the other hand, the bagged option gives more convenience as you only have to change the bags instead of cleaning the cleaner.
Keys to Choosing the Ideal Vacuum Cleaner
Apart from the other features mentioned in this post, there are a few key elements to consider before you make a purchase. Most vacuum cleaners come with additional tools which can be bought or are included in the package, which you must consider:
Floor Cleaning Tools
Most vacuum cleaners come with built-in standard cleaning tools like the basic suction tool. Additionally, one can purchase spinning brush bars or turbo brushes.
Both these tools allow you to remove pet hair from tight areas such as carpets. They create more power and can be easily brushed off as well.
Extra Mini Tools
Such tools include turbo brushes, flexible tools, mattress tools, and extensions. Turbo tools are used to pull pet hair and linen from carpets. Flexible add-ons allow the head of the vacuum cleaner to be adjustable, therefore allowing cleaning to be done on top of shelves and doors.
Mattress tools are special tools that allow for the cleaning of mattresses. This will ensure that any remaining dust particles which are unseen by the naked eye are also cleaned.
Finally, extensions allow for a greater reach, meaning that hard-to-reach or larger areas such as staircases can easily be cleaned as well.
Variable suction is an important thing to consider when there are multiple floor levels and variations in carpet thickness. This feature allows for adjustment in the dial and suction to be able to cope with the variations in flooring.
Some cheaper models include vents in the suction pipes which can also be adjusted.
Filters are an essential part of a vacuum and directly result in a healthier environment in your house. Some vacuums have filters that are washable, some are self-cleaning, and some require periodic replacement.
Either way, make sure that the filters live up to their promise of holding more than 99% dust inside rather than throwing them back into the room.
Standard vacuum cleaners weigh between 2 kg and 10 kg. It is important to consider which weight category best suits your needs by determining what kind of usage there will be.
If there is heavy lifting up and down the stairs, for example, opt for a lighter model. Similarly, if there are people in the house with certain back problems, opting for a lighter vacuum cleaner will be best.
Vacuum cleaners are infamous for the sounds they make. Some create a very loud screeching noise while running, which can be a real nuisance over time.
On the other hand, there are very quiet vacuum cleaners too, which hardly make any noise. The obvious choice is to go for a less noisy cleaner as no one likes noise pollution, especially inside the house.
Push & Pull Force
Pushing and pulling are different than the weight of the cleaner. This factor is best understood by the force required to move the floor head on different surfaces. Some vacuum cleaners can be really strenuous when it comes to pushing or pulling them over thick carpets.
It is imperative to always opt for vacuum cleaners which have a larger reach. The cord normally ranges between 6 and 15 meters long. It is ideal to go for the longest if your budget permits.
This way, there is no need to worry about finding sockets and extensions all over the house. The wire harness itself can stretch easily, making it hassle-free to clean.
Capacity in terms of vacuum cleaners is considered as the amount of dust or particles that one bag or storage container can hold. This varies between 0.5 kg to more than 4 kg.
If there is a larger space to cover with the vacuum, it is always ideal to opt for one with more capacity. However, if you have a smaller space to clean like an apartment, choosing a smaller capacity cleaner is also a fine choice.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Vacuum Cleaner
While testing the different models before the purchase of a vacuum cleaner, there are a few tips to be used which can help guide the purchasing process and make it easier.
One thing to consider is to turn on the vacuum cleaner if the store allows and check how noisy it is. Some product descriptions can be deceiving, so it is best to check before going home and having to scream across rooms. Secondly, try lifting it.
This will give you an exact idea of how easy it will be to maneuver throughout the house and if it is a viable option. Moreover, try to lay it flat on the ground and see if it can actually reach tight spaces, like under the furniture, and if it is performing oddly.
In some cases, the vacuum cleaner can become faulty when lying flat due to the movement. Hence, it is advisable to check this before purchase since moving the furniture around every time you vacuum can be a tiring process.
Finally, after understanding the basic controls on the buttons, always get the first-hand tutorial from the salesperson on how and when to change the filters or bags, depending on the model.
This will give you an idea about the maintenance of the product and how easy or difficult it is. Following these steps before making a purchase will also help you shortlist the final product that can best suit your needs.
Tips for Maintaining Your Vacuum Cleaner
A vacuum cleaner, just like any other machine, requires due maintenance over a specific period of time. Some components need replacing earlier, while others can go a bit longer, but it has to be done regardless.
Vacuum cleaners on average run for about an hour daily. They are directly involved in collecting dust from the house, which in itself is a damaging component. Therefore, it is crucial to regularly maintain your cleaner. Here are some ways on how it can be done:
Changing the Bags
Of course, the main component which needs constant replacing or washing, depending on the model, is the bag. It is a common misconception to replace the bags when they are full.
However, this will cause excess dust to leave and settle on the floor or carpet again. Also, if the bags are filled to the full capacity, the suction ability of the vacuum will reduce and it will give a less efficient output.
This is because some particles are bigger than dust, so if they do not find space to go in, they stay out in the form of debris, leaving your effort wasted.
Ideally, the bag should be changed when it is 2/3rd full and not fully packed. A smart way to make this process easier would be to purchase a see-through container, which can be monitored easily with a glance rather than waiting for the vacuum to slow down or seeing dust remain on the floor.
Clean the Brush Roll
The brush roll is probably the second most hard-working part in a vacuum cleaner. Its function is to ensure that the flow of the vacuum is continuous.
However, regularly, small debris like hair or linen might get stuck around the brush rolls, making rotation difficult. This will then cause the machine to not pick up more hair or other such debris.
There are two ways to clean a brush roll: by removing it or while it is stationary. Removing it before cleaning it is a much better option as it allows for proper purification.
It can be cleaned using soap and water or with a wet cloth. Attaching the brush roll properly back in place is also crucial.
Comparisons of Vacuum Cleaners & Recommended Budget
As far as the budget is concerned, you can get a vacuum cleaner in a range of prices. You could get something for $100 or go well into the thousands.
Determine how much you can spend on a cleaner, and you will be able to find a good option within that range. Vacuums are vigorously tested through real-life situations before being judged.
Here is a comparison of some of the top brands based on price, design, quality, and functionality.
- [Super Long-lasting Battery & Powerful Suction]: Outstanding 20-35mins CORDLESS running time ensures thorough cleaning all around the house. The upgrade version provides 120-watt powerful suction to meet every cleaning demands, picks up debris and dusts, crumbs and pet hairs in minute. It performs well on all kinds of hard floors, carpet, stairs and windowsills, sofa and bed, desk and curtain, etc
- [High-efficiency Cyclone + HEPA Filtration System]: It creates a high speed rotating airflow to remove particulates from air. Plus high-density HEPA which removes up to 99.99% of microscopic dust particles as small as 0.1 microns, this vacuum cleaner provides ultimate purified air and excellent cleaning experience for every users. HEPA is washable and recyclable
- [Convenient Cordless Using + Widely Applicable Two Modes]: Wireless design makes you away from the hassle of cord and still provide up to 10000PA powerful suction to complete a thorough cleaning. 2 adjustable modes adapt to different situations and allow full use of the battery
- [Lightweight Main Machine + Detachable Battery]: The main machine weights only 3.3lb which can be equipped with different attachments for different tasks. With an ergonomic handle, people can hold the machine to finish cleaning . 2200mAh large capacity battery can be full charged in 5 hours
- [What You Get]: MOOSOO vacuum cleaner*1; Motorized floor brush*1 (features Led light for dirt seeking); 2 in 1 dusting brush*1 (for both narrow gaps cleaning and wide variety of dry pick up tasks); light aluminium alloy tube*1; AC power adapter*1; 2200mAh battery*1; wall bracket*1; cleaning tool*1; user manual*1
This cleaner works great on all floor surfaces. It has a movable head, allowing easier access for hard-to-reach places. It has a dust searchlight as well to capture allergens and purify the air.
It also has a wall mounting system, making it easy to store. You can be assured of an easy maintenance process, while its batteries guarantee strong performance.
- Vacuums And washes your floors at the same time; surface type: bare floors
- Multi Surface Machine Cleans Both Sealed Hard Floors And Area Rugs. Power Rating 4.4 Amperes
- Dual Action Multi Surface Brush Roll Uses An Innovative Microfiber And Nylon Brush To Mop And Pick Up Dry Debris At The Same Time
- Two Tank System Keeps Cleaning Solution And Dirty Water Separate To Ensure That You'Re Always Cleaning With A Fresh Mix Of Water And Formula
- Smart Touch Controls On The Handle Allow You To Easily Switch Between Cleaning Hard Floors And Area Rugs And Control Your Solution With An On Demand Solution Trigger
- Capacity: 0.4
- Power source type: Corded Electric
This vacuum will vacuum and wash your floor at the same time, saving time and effort. It works well on both hard floors and carpets.
Moreover, it uses a special nylon brush to pick up dry items like food or other particles, making it a great partner for your everyday household cleaning. With its swivel steering, you can easily maneuver through your house.
- Includes a reusable commercial cloth bag with paper option
- Built-in blower allows you more versatility with cleaning and maintaining your home
- Compact form allows you to clean tight spaces and detail small areas like the inside of a vehicle
- Long 33' SJT cable length for large area vacuuming. Hush 15 Inch Bagless Upright
- Hose stretches for extended reach
- Motor Amps: 7.4 Amps
This Hoover vacuum cleaner is a lightweight, multipurpose cleaner that comes with multiple accessories and a built-in blower which makes the cleaning experience easy and functional.
Its lightweight allows it to be easily moved around tough places such as staircases. Furthermore, it comes with different bags, which allow for greater variations in cleaning.
- Lightweight bagged upright vacuum cleaner (UH30010) with powerful 12 amp motor
- Direct air-flow technology and wind-tunnel technology for fast, efficient results
- Illuminated fingertip controls, 2 speeds, self-sealing HEPA bag, check-bag indicator
- Set of two Type-Q HEPA vacuum cleaner bags
- Traps 99.97-percent of dust and pollens down to .3 microns
- Self-sealing closures contain dust puffs and debris; extra-large capacity requires fewer changes
This is an upright with a canister bagged vacuum cleaner. It offers 12-amp power, lightweight design and a special suction and airflow unit that catches dust up to 99.97% and 0.3 microns of pollen.
This is great for the overall hygiene of the house and is suitable for households with breathing issues and asthma.
- Self adjusting cleaner head seals in suction across carpet, wood, vinyl, and tile floors
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and purifiers are scientifically proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria.
- Radial root cyclone technology captures more microscopic dust than any other on the market; Cord Length: 31 feet
- Instant release wand allows for cleaning up high or under furniture; Dimensions (HxWxD): 41.93 x 15.59 x 13.39 inches & Weight: 15.6 pounds; Maximum Reach: 40 feet
- Hygienically empty the bin with the push of a button
The Dyson features a rotary ball that attaches the head to the wand, making it easier to clean in all angles while turning. It offers a powerful battery and features a hygienic solution to cleaning bags.
Plus, the ball movement system makes it easier for the user to navigate through different areas while cleaning as they go. This is a powerful vacuum cleaner and has the great suction ability.
- Innovative Multi-Surface vacuum: Deep clean with the whirlwind canister vacuum. This vacuum features an integrated airflow control on the handle that can be easily switched at your fingertips. It includes three settings: carpet, upholstery & hard floors. Dust cup capacity - 1.2 liters
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver: vacuum anywhere around your home with ease with this lightweight vacuum. The Eureka whirlwind vacuum cleaner weighs less than 8 pounds and can easily maneuver under and around furniture and stairs thanks to its swivel steering and telescoping metal Wand
- 3L dust container, no maintenance costs: No bags or filters required. The whirlwind has a Bagless design and uses washable filters. Rinse the filters as needed and you’re ready to go
- 2-In-1 integrated crevice tool: The Eureka whirlwind canister vacuum features a crevice tool integrated into the hose handle so it’s at your fingertips whenever you need and will never get lost. Easily disconnect the handle from the hose and then you can switch between a crevice tool and a dusting brush
- Easy-to-use: spend more time cleaning and less time struggling with your vacuum cleaner. The Eureka whirlwind has automatic cord Rewind, saving your valuable time. The whirlwind has a one-button release for easy dust cup emptying
The Whirlwind is an innovative design, allowing users to change between surfaces with a touch of a button. It does not require any hassle with the bags and uses washable filters.
The controls are conveniently placed near the hand of the user, making it easier to change them between cleaning different surfaces. It also offers a powerful suction system to thoroughly clean all kinds of surfaces.
- AllergenBlock Technology - Prevents *97% of pet dander, dirt, dust, and pollen particles** from re-entering the air
- WindTunnel 3 Technology - Creates three channels of suction to lift and remove surface debris and deeply embedded dirt
- Steerable Technology - Maneuvers around furniture, corners, and in tight spaces with ease
- HEPA Media Filter - Traps 99.97% of dirt, dust, and pollens down to 0.3 microns
- Lightweight - Weighs only 14 lbs with wand and tools
The WindTunnel features a 3-way cleaning system which makes it great for all surfaces. It catches up to 99.97% dust and has a self-clogging system too. It is also pet-friendly and comes with pet accessories.
The 3-way cleaning system ensures that the air is channeled through different parts of the vacuum, making it an efficient machine with great output. It is ideal for the typical family and is also reasonably priced for the functions it provides.
- Ultra lightweight and compact : easy to use and easy to store
- Easily converts from stick vacuum to Hand vacuum
- Removable floor nozzle : remove for use as Hand vacuum; keep on for floor or stair cleaning
- Great for hard floors and effective on carpets, Area rugs, stairs, upholstery and more
- Includes crevice tool and 15 feet Power cord
This is a very cheap model and is perfect for those on a budget. While it on the low end of the price spectrum, it doesn’t disappoint. It can easily shift between vacuum and sofa cleaner and from hard floors to carpet and stairs.
It is lightweight and easy to carry, which allows you to easily use it on walls and high surfaces.
- Maximum Cleaning Power- 3 channels remove dirt with less scatter
- Multi-Cyclonic Technology - 12 cyclones separate particles of dirt before reaching the filter. Ensures a consistent cleaning experience with No Loss of Suction
- 7 Floor Settings - adjustable nozzle for every floor type regardless of the surface
- Cord Rewind - automatic cord rewind retracts the 28 foot cord in seconds
- Includes an 24 inch Telescoping Extension Wand, 12 inch Crevice Tool to clean cracks and crevices with precision, Pet Turbo Tool and Dusting Brush to clean furniture and stairs and a Pet Static Tool to clean pet hair, furniture surfaces and other décor
The Hoover WindTunnel MAX has a multi-cyclonic system, which filters dust 12 times, thereby achieving a stable and efficient output.
This ensures that the airflow is uninterrupted and does not slow down if there are slightly bigger particles being sucked up. It has three channels for the air to flow through, making it a powerful suction tool.
There is no doubt that vacuum cleaners are present in almost every household and are a daily necessity when it comes to general cleaning. The end product achieved with the help of a high-quality, reliable and powerful vacuum cleaner will improve the aesthetic of the house.
Therefore, it is important to do research before purchasing one, keeping in view all the key points to determine the best vacuum and how well it would suit your household needs and demands.
It’s always good to be proactive when it comes to maintenance and ensure a timely change of parts to get the best performance from the machine.